Monday, September 11, 2006

The will to walk.

It's 9/11 in NYC. We saw two lights shooting up where the towers stood tonight. Other than that, everything felt fairly normal.

I have started loving this city. It has so many different faces, and the last few days I've seen its good side. There certainly are sad situations, and I think I let those slowly suck my little portion of joy dry at first. I say little portion because, in relation to the joys filling heaven, my incredibly huge, brimming so much over the top and sides that it is physically visible when it is at its highest point amount of joy must really be so small. Perhaps there is a joy bank. And perhaps I actually do have access to every vault...imagine if we took advantage of every vault! I bet there is so much joy that goes to waste...Anyway, today I was joyful, and it made the city beautiful!

The Screwtape Letters is a book by C.S. Lewis that I am reading. In it Screwtape is a demon sending letters to his demon nephew, Wormwood, who is learning how to decieve his assigned newly-converted man. Everything is backwards; Jesus is "the Enemy"; joy is bad. I was reading today on my lunch break in Starbucks, in between text messaging Joey about his allegergies. He's really gross, by the way. Here's the best thing I read today:

"He (Jesus) cannot 'tempt' to virtue as we do to vice. He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there He is please even with their stumbles. Do not be deveived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger that when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys."

Tonight Sam and I went to Sip for dinner. It is a tiny coffee shop/bar/cafe with free wireless and half off food on Mondays. I had a ham, pesto, mozzerella, and sun dried tomato sandwhich on some really good wheat bread with a cucumber salad on the side. I also ordered some very amazing potatoes. All for $4.50! Sweet! Will definitely be going back.

Tomorrow three new things will be in stores: John Mayer CD, Chris Thile CD, Grey's Anatomy Season 2. Sounds like a good day for the wealthy.

And how could I have forgotten! I charged my ipod today at work. Music makes all the difference. I think I'm on the verge of a writing spree, even though I am void of all instruments. I'm creative though, right? I'll think of something...

I took a picture of a Duke Ellington statue today, but it was dark and didn't turn out. So here, my only photo from ground zero. I can't really look at it, but maybe you can.

0 comments: