Sunday, March 22, 2009

Number 26

I crossed the first thing off my list by purchasing and using these:


 
Posted by Picasa



I figured if I'm going to skate around New York City I should have something better than the last pair I bought at WalMart. Those wheels hardly even moved and I learned my lesson trying to maneuver the hills in Nashville on them.



So I went to Modell's during my lunch break last Wednesday. There was only one pair in my size but they seemed perfect. Only they were up on a shelf. I could reach them, but didn't want to risk knocking down the boxes resting on top of my pair.



I noticed a handy ladder nearby but figured that was an employees only thing. So I went in search of an employee. I found a lady who was incredibly focused on putting a pair of pants on a hanger. I asked her if someone could help me, assuming she'd call the appropriate person. She acknowledged the fact that I was there, finished her hanger duties, then walked over to the roller blade wall herself. Where she asked me what pair I wanted. So I pointed. So she reached up to grab them. Did I mention that she was significantly shorter than me? So I kind of stared on, a little perplexed, knowing full well what was about to happen.



And it did happen. She started pulling the box out. The boxes on top started to topple a little. And then they started to topple a lot. So she DROPPED the box of skates that she had originally intended to get, hoping to stop the topple...I don't know. Meanwhile, I figure that hanger lady doesn't deserve this, so I reach in because I am talented in height, and attempt to stop the boxes from falling, somehow gashing my knuckle open along the way.



I don't think she noticed that, but I could still tell she felt bad by the kind way she pointed me towards a bench that I could use to try them on.



Okay, fast forward. I bought them and decided to skate to care group that night. HAHAHAHAHAHA is what you might have been doing if you saw me. Sweet little me, assuming I could skate in the bike lane at 7PM on a week day down a busy two way street!

Well, I did it, mister. And it was fairly exhilarating. I even convinced myself for a few moments that I was a daredevil! Alas, I don't want to be a stupid daredevil (though really, most daredevils are infused with a little stupid), so I'm hoping to buy the safety set soon. Protect me bones and me head. Then I'm going to whiz through the awesome trails in Prospect Park and have leg muscles like you've never seen unless you've seen my sister, Lauren, while she was a gymnast or my sister, Rachel, while she was a volleyball star. Dem were some big muscles.

Seems I'm veering off into the place where I think in different accents every other sentence. I won't make you bear with me on that one. So I'm off to work on some music...and brainstorm which number to cross off next. I'm super excited for number 50.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So which one are you fixin to cross off next?
Mom

Anonymous said...

Can you do two things on your list at the same time? For instance, rollerblading would be an excellent time to accomplish #14.

Still trying to help.

An aunt (who thinks you have a fun life)

(I'm glad you're talking safety, too, or I'd have to get all motherly and lecture you.)