Thursday, September 06, 2007

I found a home.

Well, it seems the dust has cleared.

This Friday marks my three week anniversary at my job and...I finally have my very own room to sleep in.

Okay, so who thought finding an apartment in New York City would be harder than finding a job in New York City? Please. I looked at some pretty rotten places in between witnessing a drug deal and being followed by someone who kept yelling something at me about being white. I was constantly on the internet, e-mailing, searching, e-mailing, breaking down...and finally. A phone call from a friend from college and a few days later, I am living in a fabulous three bedroom apartment with three fabulous girls in the fabulous (safe) neighborhood of Park Slope in Brooklyn. And it is only a thirty minute train ride to work, which is faster than my Harlem commute. I tell you, I am in good hands.

I guess now I am just waiting for normalcy to kick in. It all still feels so un...permanent.

I forgot to mention that Target is a few stops away and it is on my way home from work AND there is a Guitar Center right by it. Target!!

Everyday all I think about is when all the things I've ordered from various furniture/housewares stores and all of the boxes from home are going to arrive. I know that "things" won't make this place a home, but those things do come with a sense of the people that have surrounded them.

But I am ready, I really am, to finally look out with no grasp of the end, and call this place home.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Glad you found a permanent address! When are we going to see pics??

Anonymous said...

Good job with the blog, Brittany. You should keep it up because your writing is excellent. I'll look forward to hearing more about New York since I've never been there.
- Aunt T