Thursday, October 26, 2006

Nice.

Remember the song that said “Live in New York but leave before it makes you hard. Live in LA but leave before it makes you soft.” I think that guy (the same guy that directed Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge, actually) was telling the truth. I’ve realized that I am not always a nice person here. I believed in an assumption that no one was nice and I might as well not angry them by saying “hello” or even “excuse me” with an honest sound of apology in my voice. I saw a woman asking for change last night and I wanted to ignore her like I normally do. Then she saw a girl my age approaching her and she goes “Oh hi!” and the girl said in the most kind voice, “Hello. How was you’re day?” I heard her reply “Oh not so good,” as I was walking past.

A man just walked up to another man in Starbucks and played a few notes on his trumpet. Walking over I saw a man carrying two see-through bags full of human size doll heads. Honestly, where else?

...

I typed that up a few days ago. And I also changed my attitude a few days ago. I started smiling at people more. I have spoken more. I have been nice. I have not assumed that people do not like nice. I said "good morning" to a bored cashier at CVS and she smiled and we talked a little. I talked to people in elevators.

It's pretty simple, isn't it?

0 comments: