Saturday, April 11, 2009

Disaster.

I decided I would make sugar cookies for Easter. I have an awesome recipe that requires time and skill, but really pays off in the end. The cookies keep their shape and the frosting is perfection, as documented in the photo of my boss's holiday gift:



So I thought I'd make some Easter egg shapes. I even bought some edible markers to decorate with.

I failed in the following ways:

Placed them too close together. They are now very misshapen eggs.
I stacked them overnight. They stuck together.
So I warmed them up a bit to loosen them. Now they are crumby on top.
I lost about 5 in the process.
I dropped the final batch on the floor.
I'm now down to 15 ugly cookies.
I'm eating the broken pieces.
I feel sick.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to try to salvage them with icing. Normally, icing is when I fail the most, so I'm afraid if I try to ice these suckers, I'll end up a big sticky mess on the floor, bawling as I lick the spoon clean.

It doesn't help that I just watched the incredible season finale of Friday Night Lights, so I'm a little emotional at the moment.

So, sugar cookies? You win. I cannot dominate you. But I can devour you. So I win. TAKE THAT YOU CRUMBY DISASTERS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brittany - you are a scream, I love your writing style! I didn't even know you had a blog until you mentioned your popcandy thing on facebook. Glad to know those sugary boys didn't get the best of you. Also, very glad to know that I'm not the only one who goes through 5 stages of grief when it comes to food projects. See you tomorrow? Happy Easter!
~Claire

Christine said...

Brit...there are always kitchen casualties. Just eat them and move on. Meanwhile, I'll keep to myself the fact that the fam was bowing down to my carrot cake yesterday. P-Dub's recipe, no less. Make it tomorrow and all your cooking confidence will be restored. Promise.