Friday, February 20, 2009

Food and Folk

Well I was hoping to post a nice picture of my legs and say something like, "I went to Vermont and all I got were these busted up knees," but somehow every picture I took looked simultaneously better and worse than I wanted to. Better because my bruises are looking less black and blue. Worse because...I mean come on, what kind of idiot posts a picture of her legs on the internet in the middle of winter? Not this idiot!

So instead, I'll post some pictures of my dinner. I know - I have a separate blog for food. HA! Last time I updated that baby was April, so just deal with me here and check out this sweet meal:



Broccoli, spinach and feta pizza on homemade whole wheat and honey crust



I made the crust personal size and baked 4 extra for later on. They are awesome and super easy!

So, Vermont. I went and fulfilled my dream of visiting "America's winter play land" (you may or may not know that White Christmas is basically my favorite movie ever). It didn't exactly live up to Rosemary Clooney expectations, but I had a good time. I snowboarded for the first time in 6 years and I hurt very much because of it. Apparently they have to make fake snow on the East coast - no nice, soft powder to fall on like Colorado so generously supplies. I really did have some bad looking knees and almost called someone to drive me down on the last run...but I soldiered through. I actually am a good snow boarder. I think. I have lots of excuses and conditions to blame the soreness and bruising on. But like I said to my housemates...I love battle wounds! Means you experienced something. I really am all for living.

Speaking of living, lately I find I'm between this feeling of wanting to be busy and distracted and wanting to hole up all alone somewhere and refresh. I can't decide which sounds better.

Last night I saw a concert at the Apollo in Harlem: M. Ward. He was incredible. His voice is so smooth and warm and I felt like I was sitting by a fire. He is also a great guitar player. All those songs on his site are good, but "Never Had Nobody Like You" is probably the most likable on first listen, so give her a listen. That's Zooey Deschanel singing with him. You probably know her as Jovie from Elf. She and M. did an album last year under the band name She and Him. I was a huge fan of that album. Listen! "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here" is a good one to start with.

This post is dedicated to Tricia Christopher.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your knees. This was like 2 blogs in one, with the food pictures, which, by the way, look yummy.
mom