Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Tale of the Lady

The train that I take to work actually picks up at an above ground stop. It travels another two stops above ground, above traffic, until it plunges back into the underground. It is a local train, which means it generally is a longer ride than if I were to take the express, but I like this train because there is a moment, right before it dips into the dark, right after it passes a tall glass building, where I gain a little bit of hope and inspiration to help me get through the day. For about five seconds, I can see Lady Liberty. Cheesy? Well I'm about to get worse. She is this incredible symbol of American history and here I am, within view of her. I just feel like if she can stand there, bear the winter and the rain, then so can I.

Today I needed to see her pretty badly. The train was packed and I could hardly see through the swarm of people. There I stood, coffee in one hand, the other gripped tight to the railing, twisting my head around, hoping for a peak. Finally, the valley between the buildings, I stand up on my toes, ready to be inspired. And she is not there. The Statue of Liberty. Is gone. I'm freaking out. Shouldn't we tell somebody? F Train! Unite! Where is the Lady?

And then I realize. She has succombed to her only enemy.

Fog.

A foggy day in New York town.



On another note, how do we feel about wearing yoga pants to work? I for one, feel good about it. Since I am wearing yoga pants to work today. But don't start yelling yet, mom, this is not relapse of me trying to sneak out to school in pajama pants. I paired them with a short striped dress and some sweet kicks. I almost look like a trendy, tight-wearing New Yorker.



I'll let you know if the Lady defeats the fog this evening. I am pretty faithful that she can make it through.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

here is the comment that you told me to leave you.

Brittany White said...

seriously? i told you to say that and you did? i thought you'd be a little more creative...

Christine said...

Brit, one cannot be picky when it comes to comments!

As for your post...what a neat story. And your outfit sounds so cute! Is it true new yorkers where black every day?

Anonymous said...

The pajama pants made me laugh.

Things that inspire us and keep us going are so great.
Mom

Anonymous said...

sorry i didn't have time for anything creative